PO Box 7371, Bonney Lake, WA 98391
Website Open 24/365
Follow Us:


ATTENTION: The information supplied here is to be taken as a guide and not as legal information. We do not take responsibility for information that may change or be outdated. You are responsible to know the laws where you live and travel. 


1. What are the requirements for buying a firearm in Washington State?

For long gun purchases, such as a bolt action rifles or shotguns, you must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid US driver’s license from any state. Washington residents must pass a I-1639 COMPLIANCE ONLINE COURSE for the sale of semi-automatic rifles and pay a state mandated fee for the purchase. You must pass a federal background check, and you must be a US citizen. For an immigrant alien, you need to provide proof of residence for a minimum of 90 days. Non-immigrant aliens must also provide 90 days proof of residence and a hunting license (or any other equal form of Federal exemption). There is no mandatory waiting period necessary for bolt action long guns or shot guns unless the NICS puts a delay on your purchase.

For handguns, Washington State law dictates that we can only sell to a Washington resident with a valid Washington driver’s license or Washington ID. You must be at least 21 years of age, a US citizen, or an immigrant alien with 90 days proof of residence of a minimum of 90 days, or a non-immigrant alien with 90 days proof of residence and a hunting license. There is a mandatory ten day waiting period for the background check. The ten-day waiting period is ten business days; weekends and holidays DO NOT count towards the ten business days.

2. Are there any fees or special licenses for purchasing a firearm in Washington State? 

Yes, there is a state mandated fee for the purchase of semi-automatic rifles. There is no fee for handgun, bolt action, and shotgun purchases. A concealed pistol license is not required to purchase and own a firearm. Please refer to your local law enforcement for specific laws governing carrying and transporting your firearms.

3. What would make me ineligible to own a firearm? 

The following is a list of items that would prohibit you from possessing, receiving, shipping, or transporting a firearm:

  1. You have been convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.
  2. You are a person who has been convicted of a felony offense.
  3. You are a fugitive from justice. (Have an active Arrest Warrant)
  4. You are an unlawful user of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.
  5. You were adjudicated as mentally defective or incompetent, or committed to any mental institution.
  6. You are an illegal alien.
  7. You have renounced your U.S. citizenship.
  8. You were convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
  9. You are subject to a court order that restrains you from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner. (Restraining order, T.R.O, etc.)
  10. Be under the age of 21. 

This list is an example of what will prevent you from possessing, receiving, shipping, or transporting a firearm and is not considered to be a complete list. You must refer to your local laws regarding possessing, receiving, shipping, or transporting a firearm. 

4. I do not live in the state of Washington. Can I buy something on your website? 

Yes, we can sell to out of state residents as long as the item is legal to own in your state. It is up to you as the Buyer to check with your local laws and verify that you can legally own the item before you buy. All firearms sold to people living out of state must be sent to a dealer with a valid FFL. A copy of the FFL must be sent to Steelhead Arms before we ship any firearm. Firearms cannot be sent to a purchaser’s home or business.

4a. If I buy a gun on your website, can I have it shipped directly to my house or business? 

No, all firearms must be shipped to a dealer with a valid FFL. If you purchase a firearm from us online, you are required to provide us with a copy of your dealer’s FFL before we ship it out.

5. If I do not see the item that I want on your website, can you special order it for me? 

Yes, Steelhead Arms proudly carries a diverse firearm inventory, but if you do not see what you want, feel free to contact us to check on pricing and availability. We are able to process your order over the phone as well.
All special orders must be paid in full prior to us placing the order. Cancellation of a special order for any reason will result in a 25% cancelation fee or $100, whichever is greater.

6. Do you do layaways? 

Yes, we are offering layaways at this time.

7. What does it mean when my background check comes back as proceed, delay, or denial?

Proceed – You passed the background check and the transfer may proceed.

Delays – A delay simply means the NICS examiner needs more time to gather more information to verify your identity and complete the background check. Common reasons for a delay include those with a common name or if the NICS computer systems are slow and the process times out. When NICS informs us that the transaction will be delayed, they will also provide a release date. If NICS does not respond before that date, then we, the dealer, can still legally transfer the firearm to you, the purchaser. Delays can take anywhere from 1 day to 7 days.

Denial – You did not pass the background check and the transfer of the firearm is prohibited. The reason for a denial is not provided to the dealer because this is private information regarding the customer. A person that has been denied can appeal the decision if they feel that it was an error. The appeal process can take anywhere from 14 to 150 days to complete. Detailed instructions for an appeal can be found here: NICS Appeal.  Should you determine that you are not eligible to own a firearm, we will issue a refund back to you in the form of a corporate check less a 25% administrative fee. Please allow up to four weeks for processing.

8. What is a CPL? 

Washington State is a Shall-Issue state for conceal pistol licenses. This simply means that you are able to obtain a concealed pistol license if you meet the state requirements and you apply for it. You must apply for the CPL at the local police station where you reside. Firearms dealers do not do CPLs. For detailed instructions and requirements, click the following link: Wa DOL Conceal Pistol License

8a. Which conceal carry permits are valid in Washington State? 

In order for Washington to recognize other states’ concealed weapons permits, Washington state's reciprocity law (RCW 9.41.073)dictates that the other state must:

  • Recognize Washington concealed pistol licenses;
  • Not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under age 21; AND
  • Require a mandatory fingerprint-based background check for criminal and mental health history. 

Washington’s law recognizing concealed pistol/handgun licenses from other states is clear, unambiguous and confers no discretion on the Attorney General to ignore or waive any of its requirements.

Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington state, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.

Idaho*   North Dakota***
Kansas   Ohio  
Louisiana     Oklahoma  
Michigan**   Utah****
North Carolina     


NOTE: Handguns must be carried in accordance with the law of the state you are visiting. Some states may recognize Washington permits, even though Washington doesn't recognize theirs. Be sure to check the laws of the other state before traveling there with your handgun.

*  Idaho Enhanced Permit only.
**  This states does not recognize non-resident concealed pistol licenses issued by Washington state.
***  Class 1 ND permits only.
****  Utah Provisional Concealed Firearm Permit not recognized

9. Where is your location? 

We are located in Bonney Lake, WA and we are an online firearms dealer with plans for expansion to a store in the future. But we do complete transfers by appointment only. 

10. If I don’t like what I purchased, can I return it to you for a refund? 

  • No returns on firearms and ammo unless it was a shipping  error by Steelhead Arms. For liability reasons, we cannot refund ammunition and firearms sales. If your item has a manufacturing defect, then we can help you ship it back to the manufacturer for warranty repairs.

Yes, on merchandise except for all clearance or close-out items they are sold "as is" and cannot be returned. 

12. Where is a good place to shoot and get lessons? 

Most shooting ranges provide a great place to learn and a simple google search will find a place close to you. If you in our area, although we are not affiliated with them we suggest you try The Marksman in Puyallup, WA.

13. Do you offer gunsmith services?

No. We do not have have a gunsmith currently.

14. Do you do transfers? 

Yes, we do transfers for a fee of $25.00 + Tax. Sending FFL dealers are required to provide a copy of their current FFL prior to Steelhead Arms releasing the firearm. This can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to us. Firearms that arrive without an FFL will be sent back to the original shipper. Shipping charges will apply. 

Please allow two (2) business days for processing after we have received the firearm from the sending FFL.
We will call you and arrange an appointment when your firearm is ready for pick-up.

In accordance with Washington State law, the customer is required to pay a 9.3% tax to the state of Washington for the assessed market value of the firearm(s). FFL Purchase: For those who have purchased a firearm from another FFL, it is required the sending party encloses a copy of an invoice along with their FFL license. Used Firearm Transfer: For those who are simply having a weapon transferred through another FFL to our company are required generate an invoice to be enclosed along with their FFL. 

You will need to provide a sales receipt for proof of purchase that shows the price paid for the firearm. 

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our free e-newsletter for new product updates and promotions.

Shopping Cart